This section will tell you of the courses on offer in this Sixth Form.
It is important that you spend time reflecting on your future plans and take full advantage of the extensive offer that we provide. Successful progression will depend on choosing the most appropriate ‘level’ of study.
Many students will be able to progress straight onto Level 3 [Advanced level – A Level, BTEC National, OCR Nationals, etc] courses after gaining at least 6 GCSE passes at ‘4’ or above including a Grade 5 in Maths and / or English. Students who have not achieved a sufficient number of GCSE passes will be advised to study for a further year on a Level 2 where they will be given the opportunity to both achieve success and develop practices that will fully prepare them for their advanced studies in the following year.
Flexible progressions will enable us to support your plans and allow you to make maximum progression during your time with us. Through flexible timetabling and expert advice and guidance we aim to ensure that you can celebrate your talents/skills and can fully benefit from our curriculum offer. For examples, students on a Level 2 programme who have a particular talent may be able to study that area further in a Level 3 course. Equally, we offer the possibility of students accessing both AS and vocational courses at Level 3 and for all students to attach an appropriate enrichment programme to their studies.
OPTIONS FOR KEY STAGE 5
The College prides itself in being able to offer a varied and progressive curriculum.
We believe effective teaching is underpinned by the DTT (Diagnosis – Therapy – Testing) process.
Diagnosis- the teacher finds out what the students already know or can do e.g. questions, test.
Therapy – the teacher designs specific tasks to ensure students are supported and challenged to make progress.
Testing – the students’ work is assessed to ensure they have ‘mastered’ the skill or knowledge.
Students need to know for each unit or lesson what they are expected to know or be able to do. To support this process students will have:
- a course calendar for each subject to show what they are studying and when
- a Personal Learning Checklist (PLC) to show how well they are ‘mastering’ each skill in each subject.
Examples of these can be found with the subject information below:
A LEVEL COURSES (LEVEL 3)
- Applied Science
- Art (Fine Art)
- Business Studies
- Core Maths
- Extended Project
- English Language/Literature
- English Literature
- Further Mathematics
- Media Studies
- Religious Studies
ADVANCED VOCATIONAL COURSES (LEVEL 3)
- BTEC National Level 3 – Extended Certificate / Diploma in Business
- BTEC Extended Certificate/ Diploma in Health & Social Care
- OCR Cambridge Technical Level 3 in Sport
- RSL Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma – Creative Music Producer
- RSL Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma – Live Music Performance
- BTEC Art and Design Extended Certificate
- OCR Cambridge Technical in ICT
INTERMEDIATE LEVEL VOCATIONAL (1 YEAR COURSES) (LEVEL 2)
- Cambridge Technical Health and Social Care Level 2 Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical in Business Administration Diploma
GCSES – RETAKES (1 YEAR COURSES) (LEVEL 2)
- Mathematics / English / Science
For information on applying to the Sixth Form, please click here.