General Entry Requirements
For all Level 3 pathways five passes (9-4) or more at GCSE’s are required including at least Grade 4 in Maths and/or English Language. The following Level 3 pathways are available:
- STEM Pathway: 6 passes 9 – 6 including English and Maths grade 6. Three A level choices from: Maths*, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer Science. Plus, level 3 Extended Project. *Maths essential
- Advanced Pathway: 5 GCSE’s 9 – 4 including English and Maths grade 4. Subject specific criteria apply (see below). A level/Vocational choices with Extended Project or Core Maths.
- Transition Pathway: 5 GCSE’s 9 – 4 including grade 4 in English or Maths. Vocational Diploma plus 1 other Level 3 course. GCSE English or Maths as required.
|Subject||GCSE Maths||Other Requirements|
|Art||GCSE 5 in Art or previous Art portfolio evidence.|
|Biology||Grade 6||66 in Double Science; if triple 665 with 6 in Biology. Grade 5 in English.|
|Business Studies||Grade 5 if taken for GCSE|
|Chemistry||Grade 6||66 in Double Science; if triple 665 with 6 in Chemistry. Grade 5 in English.|
|Core Maths (AS)||Grade 5|
|Drama||GCSE Drama is not essential but previous performance experience is desirable.|
|Economics||Grade 5||Grade 5 if taken for GCSE.|
|English Literature||Grade 6 in English Literature.|
|Politics||Grade 5 in English Literature.|
|Geography||Grade 6 in Geography if taken for GCSE.|
|Graphic Design||Grade 6 in Graphics or previous portfolio evidence.|
|History||Grade 6 in History if taken at GCSE. Preferably Grade 6 in English Language.|
|Further Maths||Grade 7|
|Photography||Previous photography experience is beneficial.|
|Physics||Grade 6||66 in Double Science; if triple 665 with 6 in Physics. Grade 5 in English.|
|Sociology||Grade 5 in English Language is recommended.|
VOCATIONAL COURSES – LEVEL 3
Diploma / Extended Certificate
|Merit at BTEC Level 2 if taken; Grade 5 in GCSE Maths & English is desirable.|
|BTEC Health & Social Care|
Diploma / Extended Certificate
|Merit at BTEC Level 2 Health & Social Care if taken.|
|Cambridge Technical Sport Extended Certificate||Grade 5 in GCSE Maths.|
|Cambridge Technical Information Technology - Introductory Diploma / Diploma||Merit at Level 2 if taken; Grade 5 in GCSE Maths.|
|AQA Applied Science Extended Certificate||Grade 5 in Maths. Grade 55 in Combined Science or 5's in Triple Science subjects|
|BTEC Art & Design Extended Certificate||An interest in or experience of Art & Design is essential. It is preferable if you have studied a creative subject at GCSE.|
Guide to Vocational Qualifications
We offer the following Level 3 vocational qualifications:
- BTEC / Cambridge Diploma = 720 GLH or equivalent to 2 A levels
- BTEC / AQA / Cambridge Extended Certificate = 360 GLH or equivalent to 1 A level
- Cambridge Technical Introductory Diploma = 360 GLH or equivalent to 1 A level
- Cambridge Technical Diploma = 720 GLH or equivalent to 2 A levels.
All Diploma courses are studied over 2 years
Extended Certificate / Introductory Diploma courses can be studied over 2 years (Year 12 students) or 1 year (Year 13 students).
Equivalence is hard to define but in simple terms the qualification is worth the same number of UCAS points; so an A level or a BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate are worth the same number of UCAS points.
GCSE and VOCATIONAL – LEVEL 2
To access the level 2 pathway students will need a majority of grade 3’s at GCSE. Students will be required to take GCSE’s in English and Mathematics (unless they have a grade 4) alongside a Level 2 Cambridge Technical Diploma in either Health and Social Care or Business Administration. These courses will run for one year and once completed successfully will enable you to progress onto Level 3 courses in the following year.
The Cambridge Technical Diploma courses are equivalent to 3 GCSE’s